An inverter is a power converter that converts direct current (DC) into alternating current (AC). In a solar module installation, the inverter performs two key functions: it performs the DC to AC conversion and it optimizes the modules' Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT). Traditional solar energy installations deploy a single centralized inverter to convert the DC output from multiple solar modules into AC power.
The Enphase Approach
The Enphase Micro-inverter system is a fully integrated device that converts the DC output of a single solar module into grid-compliant AC power. This integrated system maximizes energy harvest, increases system reliability, and simplifies design, installation and management.
- Every module gets the benefit of individual Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT), thereby maximizing energy harvest
- With Enphase Micro-inverters, the modules are resilient to dust, debris, and shading
- Enphase Burst Mode technology provides greater production in low-light conditions
- No single point of system failure
- The Micro-inverter provides continuous monitoring of the performance of each PV module
- Soft switching reduces component stress
- Quick and simple installation
- No central or string inverter to install or design
- The system provides 24/7 monitoring and management for each module
The Enphase Micro-inverter system is the first commercially-available Micro-inverter system for residential and commercial solar PV applications. The Enphase System includes the following two additional components:
ENVOY COMMUNICATIONS GATEWAY
- The module performance information generated by each Micro-inverter is collected by the Enphase Envoy (EMU). The Envoy then transmits this data over a broadband internet connection to the Enphase Enlighten™ website.
- The Enphase Enlighten website analyzes the per-module data collected by each Micro-inverter. Enlighten automatically detects any shortfall in energy production, identifies possible causes, and suggests solutions to correct the problem. The Enphase Enlighten website is constantly monitoring and managing every module on every installation.
Click here to view training classes offered by Enphase.